Monday, July 6, 2009

"Sarah"

I wrote this a few months ago -  I couldn't help it - Dylan's "Sara" on his wonderful Desire lp
has been begging for a little revision. Now that she's in the news again I'm dragging it out of the hamper.
With respect to St. Bob, here it is:

SARAH
by stephen d gross


"I hid in a bush I loaded my gun
Had me too many kids, I refused to abort
I shot me a moose, I was jes' havin' fun
Call me hockey mom, it's a ballbuster's sport"

Sarah Sarah
With your shrill brittle voice
you drill holes in my mind
Sarah Sarah
What ever made you
the dull-witted kind?

"I can still see it bleedin', its guts in the sand
I grabbed me my knife to strip off its hide
I held the wrong end I cut up my hand
my kids watched me bleed
then we went for a ride"

Sarah Sarah
the Republicans chose you to run as their veep
sarah sarah
whoever picked you gets far too much sleep 


When you went to Wassila you captained the team
Barracuda your nickname, a fish to be feared
Then you tried junior college but ran out of steam
now you wish we'd acknowledge that Jesus appeared

Sarah Sarah mascara'd musher
and teacher of kids
sarah sarah you kept the bars open
then provided the skids

You ran down old lupus in a chopper one day
when he gave up you shot him, a game we abhor
You call it "sport" - morons must have their way
how else can they get a new rug on the floor?

Sarah Sarah dimwitted bimbo
Republican star
Sarah Sarah
her eyeballs are fixed 
on the USSR

I still hear the sound of your corvid like croak
and the prickly tones of your harsh strident voice
you debated Joe Biden it seemed like a joke
McCain would bail out
but you've left him no choice 

Sarah Sarah
aquarian queen in a pair of mukluks
Sarah Sarah 
you might lead the free world
and that really sucks

It's raining in Juneau the Governor's left town
all the buddies she hired are running the State
she's gone to DC, got a job as a clown
got a tank with hot air
and balloons to inflate

Sarah Sarah
evangelical leader of National cheers
Sarah Sarah
America's no place for liberals and queers

No comments:

Post a Comment